I still remember the first time I ever tried a zucchini muffin…
I was 16 and visiting my Nonna & Nonno in Ontario during the summer, and my Great Aunt made the most delicious homemade zucchini muffins with zucchini’s from her own garden! From the first bite… I was in love. 😉
I know they don’t sound or look all that appetizing but you just have to forget about the vegetable part and enjoy! This recipe has a nice mix of spices to give it that spice-cake flavor which goes perfectly with zucchini. If you like carrot cakes, you will definitely like these… and the best part is that this recipe is super simple (no electric mixer involved!) & not to mention, healthier than most muffins/cupcakes.
Note: I used large baking cups, but you can also just pour the batter right into the muffin pan. Just remember to spray/grease the pans first.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups of grated zucchini (about 3 to 4 medium zucchini) Cut the ends off, and grate zucchinis on the large holes of a box grater.
- Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange two racks so that the oven is divided into thirds. Line 2 (12-well) muffin pans with paper liners. Set aside.
2. Place the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium bowl and whisk well to break up any lumps. Set aside.
3. Place the eggs, sugars, oil, and vanilla in a large bowl and whisk until the eggs are broken up and the mixture is thoroughly combined. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the flour mixture until just combined. Than fold in the zucchini until evenly mixed.
4. Fill the muffin cups about two-thirds of the way full. Bake, rotating the muffin pans from front to back and top to bottom halfway through the cooking time, until the muffins are browned and a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
5. Let the pans cool on wire racks for 5 minutes, than transfer the muffins from the pans and allow to cool completely.
- Natasha xo