Oh, do I have a treat for all you lovely bakers today… 🙂
I’ve been experimenting with different types of healthy (healthy being the keyword here) breakfast muffins over the past few days and have finally found a recipe that is not only healthy for you, but also extremely tasty! I know, I know.. it’s hard to believe that something so nummy would be good for you, but believe me, these scrumptious blueberry oat mini muffins are!
Muffins are such an easy choice for a ‘breakfast on the go’ when you’re in a rush in the morning but the reality is, most store-bought muffins are filled with sugars and really have no essential nutrients/health benefits.
Look no further! These little bad boys are filled with all kinds of goodness – banana, blueberries, oats, whole wheat flour, olive oil, & walnuts.
You can really taste the bananas and blueberries in these muffins – I think the bananas is the key to their goodness! And on top of being healthy and delicious, these muffins are also super easy to make. 10 minutes is all you need!
– This batter does NOT rise very much at all, so make sure you put a good amount of batter into each cup. This recipe makes 18 smaller-sized muffins. You can use standard size cupcake liners, and fill them with approx. 2 heaping tablespoons of batter each. (I used an ice-cream scooper)
(yield: 16-18 small muffins)
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1/3 cup almond milk (or soy milk, or low fat organic milk)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup unrefined sugar
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 3/4 cup oats
pinch of cinnamon
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 – 1 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line muffin pans with paper muffin cups.
2. In a medium bowl combine bananas, milk, oil, sugar and the egg. Mix until just combined – do not overmix. In a separate small bowl – whisk together the flour, oats, cinnamon, and baking powder. Pour the dry mix into the banana mix, and whisk until evenly combined. Fold in the blueberries and walnuts.
3. Spoon approx. 2 tablespoons of batter into each muffin cup. Bake for 25 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
4. Make sure to remove the muffins immediately after they are done in the oven. Transfer the muffins to a wire rack and let cool.